How to Prepare for Rhinoplasty: What you Need to Know
If you have finally decided to have rhinoplasty treatment to alter the shape of your nose, there is much to consider. First you will need to choose an established plastic surgery clinic, which is something Google can help you with, then make an introductory consultation with the resident plastic surgeon. This meeting allows the medical professional to assess your objectives, while also making you fully aware of the risks that come with all forms of surgery.
Here are a few ways in which you can prepare for rhinoplasty treatment.
- Arrange for a Caretaker – You will need someone to drive you home from the clinic after the operation, plus that person should remain with you for the first 48 hours, just in case you need assistance. Your partner would be the ideal person for this role, helping you as much as you need.
- Apply for a Two-Week Leave from Work – You should not work for a couple of weeks, at least until the swelling has gone down. While you might feel fine, you need to minimise the risk of bumping your nose and staying off work for 10-14 days is advised. You can always delegate important things to colleagues and you will be surprised at how quick the swelling goes down.
- Complete all Ongoing Tasks Prior to Surgery – Any odd jobs around the house that are shortlisted should be done before the beautiful nose surgery (called ศัลยกรรมจมูกสวย in Thai), which avoids anything strenuous after the operation. If you have a busy business and social calendar, try to schedule the operation when you have a quiet month.
- Abstain from Food & Drink – For at least 8 hours prior to surgery time, don’t worry, you will be given a set of instructions for preparing by the clinic. This is essential when undergoing a general anesthetic, which requires an empty stomach, plus your digestive system will be inactive.
- Cease Using Certain Medications – If you take aspirin for any reason, stop taking 2 weeks prior to the surgery date, also certain natural herbs can react with anesthetics, so stop consuming herbs for 2 weeks, just to be on the safe side.
It might be necessary for you to wear a nasal splint for a week or so, depending on the nature of the treatment and the surgeon will ensure that you know what to do and what to avoid during the recovery period. After a few weeks, your nose augmentation is complete and you can live like to the fullest.